Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Goodbyes and Keeping Busy

I AM SO SO SO SORRY that it took me so long to get back on here. I was really sick last week (I took my final with a temp of 101.4 and the temp peaked at 103 that night)..I took all of last week to get better and take care of other things that I needed to accomplish. SO now, its time to tell you about two of the hardest days of my life!

We had a send off for 2 companies here in town last Sunday. The send offs were wonderful and really honored our soldiers and it was wonderful to see so many people there supporting our troops and loved ones. It means a lot to know that so much of the community is behind these men and women! I didn't have a hard time at Sunday's send off because I knew that I didn't have to say my goodbye until the next day, however, when the buses drove by, lead by 2 fire trucks and a whole bunch of motorcycles, I lost it. There were so many crying wives and children around me, and I realized that Jeff wasn't coming home at the end of the day. He won't be home until his mid tour leave (if they are allowed one--there are rumors circling that they may not get one)..

Then that night we were able to spend the evening together in Des Moines...and then it was Monday. D-day as I called it..I knew as soon as I woke up it was going to be a hard day, harder than I could imagine. I woke up and it felt like I had a rock in my stomach, I just felt sick knowing what was ahead..Jeff and I got ready in silence, partly because neither of us wanted to cry, and because we both were trying to keep it together for the other..

Monday's send off was just as wonderful as Sunday's. Once again I swelled with pride for my husband and to see how many people from the community came out to see the soldiers. After the send off, we had 1 hour with our loved ones before they had to load the buses and head to Mississippi. That hour was way to short. When Jeff loaded the bus, my heart ached. I couldn't believe that I had just had my last hug and kiss for who knows how long..I know that a year isn't much compared to what others go through with loved ones gone, but I just couldn't believe that he walked onto that bus and I was going home to an empty house..

The past week has been an intersting one. Between being sick and missing Jeff, and trying to keep myself occupied. I do really well during the day. I keep busy enough that I don't have time to think about much, but at night, thats when it hits me. I am lonely without Jeff here. He isn't just my husband, he is my best friend. So with him gone, not only do I not have my husband to turn to, but I also don't have my best friend..

In attempts to stay busy, I have rearranged the house (i love it! makes it look much larger! and cleaner) and I have been hanging out with friends and of course my little munchkin Cain. I start school next week, and work 2 weeks after that, so soon I will be EVEN busier and I'm hoping that will help the next year just absolutely FLY by!!

Well, its time to get little mister off to bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment